One of my favorite places to take the kids in Tampa Bay is the Florida Aquarium . It’s quite large, yet it’s easy to navigate and not overwhelming. The Youngest gets so excited when she knows we’re going, and The Older enjoys it too, especially if I make it a scavenger hunt.

Today it was just me, The Younger, and my Mom’s Group, so we wandered around and spent our time looking at whatever we wanted. Not surprisingly the touch tanks and the Clown fish (“Mom, it’s NEMO!) were the biggest hits today.

One of her other favorite spots is where the duck are. They have all sorts of ducks that swim with the fish, and they’re at eye level. She just loves standing there and watching them, and she calls one particular duck “my duck.”

And there’s the tank with the rays and the small hammerhead shark (one of my favorites).

Of course there are also the sharks and the seahorses, the huge schools of fish, jellyfish, the octopus… I love this place!

Usually we go to Explore a Shore , the facility’s amazing water/splash area, as well, but The Younger is battling some sort of something, so we opted out. Honestly it’s probably my favorite thing to do with the kids in the summer, so I can’t wait to go back! ( These are old pictures. I can’t believe how much they’ve grown in a year!)

10 Responses to Florida Aquarium

1. May 11, 2012 at 4:08 pm

I love the aquarium. Those are beautiful pictures.

2. May 11, 2012 at 4:26 pm

We’ve been meaning to get back to Florida for a while now! Haven’t been in years! Nothing like a vacation someplace hot when it’s cold up here. And one of our favourite things to do is visit an aquarium. Just as relaxing to watch animals gliding through the water! Will definitely have to give this spot a try when we head south!

Warmest regards,
    Joy

3. May 11, 2012 at 4:42 pm

Great pictures! Look at that great photo of the shark! I love it!

We have the Monterey Bay Aquarium here, and I can’t wait to take the kids. But your aquarium looks like a ton of fun!

4. May 11, 2012 at 8:38 pm

I love aquariums, but don’t really have anything near by. Sharks scare me to death, but I am so fascinated by them at the same time. What a fun day!

• May 13, 2012 at 9:57 am

You’d do well at the shark area then. Floor-to-ceiling shark tank with TONS of sharks! No way to escape it either.

5. May 12, 2012 at 12:01 am

WOW!! What fun! Great pictures too. That must have been so much fun… wish we had something like that nearby (El Paso). Blessing to you and your cutie-patooties!!

• May 13, 2012 at 9:56 am

Oh, thanks! We always have a good time when we go there.

6. Barbara Mascareno
    May 12, 2012 at 1:55 pm

Isn’t wonderful when kids learn best at field- trips. I love it when we go to places like museums and exhibitions. There’s so much to teach and learn that it can be a complete curriculum of lessons. Love it :) thanks for sharing the pictures.

• May 13, 2012 at 9:55 am

I’m like you; I love the hands-on approach. They seem to absorb it more than they would learning it in a classroom sometimes :-)